Thursday, July 7, 2011

I figured something like this was going to happen eventually.. Formspring screens questions for hate speech buzz words. I was not aware of this until looking at my latest set of inquiries. My first flagged question is sitting in my inbox. What do I do with it?

Thus far, I have answered every question that has been submitted. It has never seriously crossed my mind I would get a question that I thought was too personal to answer. Indeed, I assumed I would have one of two reactions. Either I would think my personal stories might benefit someone, or, if the question was from a troll attempting to jab at me, rip him to shreds. Those two reactions would make the whole Formspring bit fun and interesting. I had wondered, however, how to handle a question from an obvious troll who is just trying to stir up trouble.

Whoever this troll is, he asked if I thought the recent uptick support for gay marriage is because people have forgotten AIDS and Jeffrey Dahmer, and wanted to know my suggestions for reminding people of those things. I do not think the question deserves an answer from me. It is ignorant and presumes I am a bigot. Those are the two reasons I assume it is either from a Fred Phelps type or a immature progressive who is making a back handed swipe. I only post the question here so you get an idea of why I have had to think about what to do with such things when they come.

I let anyone say anything they want here. The comments are completely unmoderated. I do not delete any after they have been posted. Even every spam message I have gotten over the years is still there. It is probably unwise to keep those, but I do so because I want clear evidence I do not censor anything. The only restriction I have placed is no anonymous comments. I only did that because anonymous posters were starting to debate each other, which got confusing. So I naturally do not set guidelines lightly.

Here is my Formspring guidelines from here on out:

1. I will look at any new questions Formspring has flagged. If the site is being to politically correct, I will answer it anyway. Formspring added a request that I delete any flagged questions in order to keep the site fun, but it does not require me to do so. Since I answer questions on the blog and not the site, the site’s objection is irrelevant. However, if the flagging is for a good reason, then I will delete the question and not answer it.

2. If I suspect a non-flagged question is trollish, I will publish it on my blog and explain why I will not answer it. Or I will rip the questioner into itty bitty pieces from everyone to see. It depends on how I feel that day.
The bottom line is unless I agree with Formspring’s flagging, it gets posted. The questioner may not get the response he wants, but he is not paying for it, and therefore has no room to whine. Every other legitimate question will be as welcomed as it always has been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY