Friday, April 29, 2011

I was going to ask you to comment on the Roger McDowell incident in San Francisco, but then Derek Lowe got arrested for DUI. What's a Braves fan to do?
I learned from the John Rocker controversy back in 2000 how frustrating it is to be a fan of anything that relies on fallible people in the public eye. For whatever reason, I was on the spot as an Atlanta Braves fan to comment on rocker’s interview, to denounce him personally and probably eschew the braves in general. Sure, rocker was/is a racist and homophobe, but all I cared about was enjoying the World Series. I have been asked to criticize Jimmy Buffett and Gillian Anderson in recent times for reasonable political opinions, not even anything offensive.

If having an ignorant opinion and blurting it out in public was a crime, we would all be in trouble. As I have said before, being a bigot is an individual’s right. I am a No Thought Police kind of guy.

I understand baseball’s need to protect its brand. It has put McDowell on administrative leave for he homophobic statements. I am confident lowe will receive some sort of punishment if convicted for Dui, as well. It is unfortunate they are both associated with a team I root for, because it does reflect poorly on the organization. But I do not feel obligated to quit enjoying Braves’ games because of it.

Could something ever occur that would prompt me to do so/ Maybe. The NFL has lost a lot of luster in recent years because the game has swept drug use, spousal abuse, animal cruelty, and even manslaughter under the rug because players put fans in the seats. Then again, I cannot muster much of a righteous indignation about that, either. I have such a dim view of human morality to begin with, not much shocks me. I am afraid to encounter something that would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY